What happens if you become incapacitated and unable to make health or financial decisions without a durable power of attorney?

If you or a loved one finds themselves in this situation, a Guardianship and/or Conservatorship may be necessary.

Guardians and Conservators are appointed by the Probate Court to make healthcare and financial decisions, respectively, on behalf of an incapacitated person or minor. By Alabama law, an incapacitated person is someone with a mental or physical illness, disability, or deficiency, and is unable to make sound decisions for themselves.

At Isom Stanko & Senter, we represent the relatives or close friends who must petition the court to gain the authority to make financial and medical decisions on behalf of a loved one. If you need to pursue a Guardianship or Conservatorship, call us today. 

For more information regarding Guardianships in Alabama, read our blog.